I recently wrote about the important basketball scouting question you need to answer about a player you’re evaluating.
The question goes:
What can this player do to earn minutes at the next level?
I went on to write, near the end of the article, “If you can give an answer in a 30-second elevator pitch or by writing it on a postcard, even better.”
I’m going to be literal and challenge you to do just that.
Today I’m announcing the Postcard Challenge.
Here’s what I’m asking you to do.
- Pick a prospect eligible for the 2018 Draft.
- Come up with a report about that player by answering the question I shared. (What can this player do to earn minutes at the next level?)
- Write that report on a postcard — yes, an actual postcard — and mail it to me.
Here’s where to send it:
PO Box 1082
Yachats, OR 97498
What you need to do:
- Buy a postcard from a local store. (Grocery, pharmacy, gift shop, wherever.)
- Write your answer to the question on the postcard, focusing on the player’s first two NBA seasons. (I don’t want to hear about what a player might be good at “someday.”)
- Mail it by Game 1 of the 2018 Finals, scheduled for May 31, 2018.
- Make sure you include your name.
- Please write in normal-sized handwriting. I was a student once and had occasions to cram super tiny handwriting onto note cards for tests. Don’t do that here. I need to be able to read it!
What I’m going to do:
- I will read all entries and share many of them on the HoopsThink website, including giving shout outs to people by name and offering feedback where I can.
- All entries from outside North America will receive automatic shout outs on the website.
- I’ll award prizes to the best entries. The more specific and precise you are in your answers, the better. Reports on less obvious prospects — players who aren’t consensus lottery picks — get extra credit. (If you pick someone who is currently declared for the Draft but they withdraw after you send your report, that’s fine. You won’t be penalized.)
- You can expect these announcements right around the 2018 Draft.
Postcard Challenge PRIZES!
Three runners-up to the Postcard Challenge will receive free access to Basketball Scouting Crash Course, the six-lesson video class I created to help you learn more about how to scout effectively.
One winner will get access to the course PLUS one 60-minute mentoring session with me on the phone or over Skype (or another service) to answer questions you have about scouting and help you with your efforts to work in basketball.
Sound like fun?
Leave a comment below and let me know if you have any questions about the Postcard challenge — and if you plan on entering.
Hope to receive a postcard from you!